Tuesday, October 24, 2017

My Girls' Trip Experience

One of my closest and dearest friends just recently had her 50th birthday.  To celebrate, she put together a girlfriends' trip to Jamaica.  I was fortunate enough to go, and I had an absolute blast.

And to think ... I almost didn't go.  When my friend started planning the trip at the end of last year, I think I tried to come up with every excuse in the book NOT to go.  I knew my husband and I would probably have to purchase another vehicle this year.  And we did because my old reliable car with nearly 400,000 miles on it, Aunt Viv the Volvo, made her transition to that great salvage yard in the sky.  Then, my daughter started a private school this year (translation ... monthly tuition).  My son plays in sports leagues and on travel teams that require all kinds of participation fees.  I told myself that paying for the trip with all the financial responsibilities we had would be irresponsible.  But then my husband was like, "You're going.  Period."

Well, that ended that and dammit, I went.  And lemme tell you something ... I am so glad I had the chance to go, and I'm thankful my husband insisted.  I so needed that vacation.

First and foremost, I got the opportunity to hang out with nine awesome sistahfriends.  


Yo's Fifty Posse




We talked and laughed a lot.  We ate well.  We went on adventures together.  I knew most of the ladies who went on the trip ahead of time, and I was fortunate enough to make new sistahfriends.  It was an empowering experience to be around so many beautiful Black women.  And we did not go unnoticed at our resort, either.  Remember that song by Klymaxx ... "The Men All Pause"?  That is EXACTLY what happened when we walked 10 deep into a room (lol).  Heads turned.  People stared.  See the picture below.  We straight shut ish down on our last night at the resort ... Black and sexy night (lol).



I also got a chance to relax, relate, and release.  It was FANNNNN-tastic and just what I needed.  I got the chance to take naps.  (Yes ... plural!!!!)  I was able to sit out on the beach and let the sun kiss and warm my skin over and over again.  I didn't have to worry about packing school lunches, helping with homework, doing laundry or housework, preparing dinner, or running out the house to get my kids to their destinations on time.  It was great having someone waiting on and catering to me for a change.  I didn't have to make my own bed.  My meals were prepared for me.  It was a nice change of pace, and I went back home feeling refreshed, recharged, and renewed. 

And the pictures I took during the trip were phenomenal!!!  What?!?!?!?  The scenery.  The island and beach selfies.  I couldn't take a bad picture.  I created many wonderful memories and have the pictures to prove it.





I took the best selfies of my entire life in Jamaica!  (lol)


Me with the birthday girl ... and a dear friend.


Sistahfriends





Jamaica is BEAUTIFUL!!!


The obligatory "feet on the beach" photo.  ☺

Why didn't I take a vacation sooner?  As a wife and mother, I feel like I take care of everything and everyone all the time, and I have failed time and time again at giving myself the opportunity to unwind and take care of me.  This girlfriends' trip was just what the doctor ordered.   


















No comments:

Post a Comment