Sunday, March 8, 2015

Things I Miss Since I Became A Mother



If you have been following my blog, you know I have two children.  My son just turned 11 recently, and my daughter will be turning 2 in a couple months.  They are my world, and I love them both with all my heart.  They bring me much joy and happiness.  They make me smile and laugh.  They make me very proud.  God really hooked me up when He chose me to be the mother of these two.  Sometimes I stare at them in amazement.  I can’t believe I birthed these two blessings!
 
As much as I love my kids and as much as I love being their mother, every now and then I find myself missing and reminiscing about things I used to take for granted back in the day.  Simple things, really.  Here are a few things I miss from back in my BC (“before children”) era:

1.      I miss going to the bathroom all by myself.  I miss going in the bathroom for a few brief moments of downtime.  I can’t remember the last time I was able to take a long, hot bath.  It’s all showers now.  There was a time when going in the bathroom and shutting the door behind me would secure a few moments of “me” time.  Yeah … can’t do that now.  Either my son knocks and tries talking to me through the door or my daughter just bursts in bathroom, pulls up her step stool, and sits down to “chat” with me.  It’s cute and all, but can’t I at least pee without being interrupted? 

2.      I miss being able to sit down with a meal or a snack without being stared down with big puppy dog eyes that’s soon followed by, “Can I have a bite?”  I’m sorry.  Didn’t you just eat an entire plate / bowl of something already?  My daughter is at the age where she eats pretty much everything, and she most certainly does just that … eats everything.  And somehow, “everything” looks a lot more appetizing on MY plate.  She doesn’t hit up my husband or son nearly as much as she does me.  My son can still be a picky eater, and sometimes that works to my advantage.  I know he doesn’t like salad, so what do I prepare myself for dinner sometimes so I can eat in peace?  You guessed it … a big ol’ salad.  

3.      I miss being able to sit on the couch or climb in the bed to read a book or watch TV in silence.  When I was growing up, I always thought of things I wanted to talk to my parents about when the news or their favorite shows were on.  Well, I guess I’m reaping what I sowed because my kids do the same dang thing!  It’s all quiet and hush-hush when an episode of “Doc McStuffins” is on.  You can hear a pin drop when my son is watching his favorite shows or a baseball game.  Let me sit down and attempt to get comfortable and settle in to watch something I like in peace and quiet.  It.  Ain’t.  Happening.

4.      I miss always having a clean house.  Don’t ask me why I remember this, but when my husband and I first married and moved into our home, I remember the cable guy coming by, looking around and saying, “Y’all don’t have any kids, do you?”  I thought that was a strange question at the time, but I so get it now.  These days, my kids have the house looking like a sporting goods store, Game Stop, and Babies R Us collided dead smack in the middle of my living room.  Stuff is everywhere.  Stepping on a Lego or a refrigerator magnet is a pain like none other but is a near daily occurrence.  And really … why do I continue cleaning up when minutes later the house is all cluttered again? 

5.      I miss taking my time to get dressed in the mornings.  I remember getting up in the mornings and having time to apply makeup, style my hair, prepare and eat a leisurely breakfast before leaving the house.  Now, I’m not just getting myself ready in the mornings.  I dress my daughter, and doing her hair is a daily struggle because she hates sitting still.  Even though my son has been dressing himself for years now, he has to pass my inspection before leaving the house.  He can’t leave home looking any kind of way.  He has to pass the clothes straight / hair combed / skin lotioned / eye butter removed / Chapstick on lips inspection.   

6.      I miss being able to bump Biggie in the car.  I was born in the 70s, grew up in the 80s, and came of age in the 90s.  The Notorious B.I.G. is a big part of my life’s soundtrack.  But now, only G-rated music in the car when the kids are with me … which is most of the time.  The last thing I want is to be out somewhere and hear my kids rapping, “Who the f*%k is this?  Pagin’ me at 5:46 in the mornin’ …”  I save Biggie for my workouts now. 

 
Yep, life has definitely changed since my BC era.  And while I do miss certain things from time to time, I can’t imagine life without my son and daughter.  They make it all worth it. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment